Okay people! The secret is out. Those canned chickpeas that have been hanging out in your cupboard are your new favourite snack. Yes, you read correctly. We have talked about the great nutritional qualities of these magical chickpeas before. Packed with protein and fibre, they make a great addition to so many meals. We most recently highlighted them in our cumin-spiced hummus, perfect as a dip or a spread. Okay, back to this new magical snack that lives in your cupboard. Oven Roasted Chickpeas.
The best part is this snack is extremely simple to make. They are perfect to snack on, add to salads for a crunch or a special addition to a trail mix. Okay, enough talk, read on to find out how to prepare this uber healthy and tasty snack.
You Will Need…
- 1 540 mL can of chickpeas
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil (garlic infused makes for a flavourful punch)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2-4 tsp. spices of choice (little or a lot based on your palette)
Some spice suggestions are cumin, paprika, chilli powder, curry powder and oregano
Prepare the Chickpeas
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Remove chickpeas from the can and rinse thoroughly under running water.
- Place chickpeas between clean dishtowels and pat them dry completely. Remove any skins that have come off while drying. It is important thatchickpeas are completely dry before roasting.
- Once chickpeas are dry place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle heavily with olive oil, ensuring all the chickpeas are coated.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and allow to bake for 20 – 30 minutes. Stir or toss the chickpeas every 10 minutes.
- Once the chickpeas are toasted golden brown and slightly darkened, sprinkle your chosen spices over the chickpeas and mix well.
- Serve the chickpeas warm or allow to cool off to be enjoyed throughout the week.